Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Two spokes short!

Did you ever wonder if you could ride without two spokes on your wheel, ummmm....me either! But I found out this weekend!

Need to update workouts first and then I will explain:

Thurs: Was a wash...was in Atlanta then travelled back to Fayetteville that night.

Fri: Was going to swim that morning at the lake but dark, cold, gloomy and rainy....swam in the afternoon for 1:15...2800M.. that was my longest ever. I was a mess the last few hundred meters though.

Sat: Went out for a quick four hour ride before I head to the coast for my leaders conference. 45 minutes into the ride I am not paying attention and slam right into this huge pot hole....I thought I was going over the bars. I stop and check out the bike, spokes, tires, etc and everything seems fine. So I roll back out not pushing too hard as I didn't want to aggravate my leg. I was still trying to assess what i could do. So I am 2:15 in and am searching desperately for a gas station as I started out light on water and needed water badly. Its then that I hear a pop.... I slow down and take a look at he bike and everything seems fine so I am thinking I simply hit something.... so I continue on with my search for water.....So at about 2:25 I see that CITGO sign over the hill and speed towards it... as I hit the parking lot I hear another pop and as I roll in I hear a horrendous clanking noise...I stop and two of the spokes had broken..... Not cool! I go in, get some water and try to figure out what I am going to do.....Some thoughts:

-Ummm, where am I? I had an idea of my general location but not a clue where I actually was
-Can you use a wheel that's missing two spokes...I do not want to crash this bike!
-How can I direct Meg to come pick me up if I don't even know where I am?
-Meg is going to kill me if she looses and hour of her morning to come get me while is is getting stuff ready to go to the coast.
-I am loosing riding time on this already tight time line I have.

So I decide to make a beeline for home in the general direction I think it is and risk the crashing...I took it very easy....After 15 minutes I am in familiar territory and it takes me another 50 to get home. So if you ever wondered.....if you are missing two you are OK....three I am not sure and hope to never find out! I ended up doing around 3:35, a little over 60....... my leg was pretty good though so I was happy with that. Nutrition was one 3 hour bottle of perp and water.

Sun: Swam in the ocean for 30 min.....estimate 1500.
Biked 20, 68 Min

Mon: Off
Tues: Core at lunch..headed to the lake after work.

Its weird but my leg feels better when I am doing stuff on it. I haven't tried running since the 15th.... I am going to put a full week of biking and swimming though and try to use the elliptical machine for my run workouts this week to see how it feels. I am considering hitting the doctors tomorrow but the procedure to get an appointment in the Army makes me not want to bother.

No comments: