Monday, August 25, 2008

I think I can do this!


Friday AM: Had a great effort in the pool on Friday:
62 min 2300 m total 2:42 min per 100 meters:
WU: 200S, 100K, 100P
MS: 1700 Total...1200free, 100B, 300P, 100B (time was 43:21 for a 2:33 pace per 100M)
CD: 200

1700 straight is awesome for me....I didn't feel exhausted after 1200 straight free and felt pretty good at the end of the workout.

I had read last Thursday about how long distance swimmers breath every stroke to maximize oxygen to the brain.......this is pretty much what I did and got no headache and was able to control my breathing pretty well! This is a huge breakthrough for me! Now, I know I am not going to pull 2:00 per 100 for 2.4 miles but pulling 2:33 for 1700 is good for me! My goal for IM is to just finish the swim!

Friday PM: 45 minutes of core.

Saturday: 79.5 miles on the bike....... 4:26 minutes total time. Road from home to post, around post, to the gym to get water and then back home via the Longstreet Detour.

1st hour and 1/2 I was averaging 19.4 MPH and the I hit my hated nemesis......King Road...... now it didn't sap me like last time but what killed me was turning right at the end of the street directly into the 15 miles of headwind......... I hauled myself to the gym on post to get water........that sucked though because 15 minutes later the water was already warm and it was starting to get hot outside. I flew up Longstreet and started to see my ave pace increase again(headwind) and was flying when I heard a big POP and Fizzle! Yes, that was the air going out of my tire at mile 63.

Wasn't too annoyed about the flat but what pissed me off was the chick I had just passed a few miles down the road trudged by me without even a glance or any concern to make sure I had stuff to fix my tire and/ or was OK......... so much for roadside protocol........ Thanks for your assistance/ concern whoever you are...... sorry I passed you so violently the first time and made it a point to fly by you again with my fresh new inner tube!

The ride really took a toll on me though (longest I have ever been) so I pulled in the driveway five minutes earlier than planned tired...... beaten down, hammy aching and very hot!

I changed quickly and used most of the ice water Meg had gotten ready for me while I was changing to dump on my head during the run. I only ran two but they were in the dead of the heat and were painful!

My nutrition plan was simple:
-1- 3 hour bottle of Perpetuem/ switch to gel every 30 min after 3 hours
-gel at 2:00 also
-3 bottles of Heed/ water as needed (18-24 ounces of fluid an hour)
-eduralytes in the Heed
My stomach was not good but it was manageable........ I wouldn't say it held me back but it certainly did not do me any favors. I need to figure this out.
I was pretty much useless the rest of Saturday.

Sun:
Run 107 min 12 mi 8:55 min per mile
Raeford Vass Trail.........I ran and Meg rode her bike!
Right hammy was tender 2d 1/2 but didn't have a problem with the run. It is always comforting to know I can pull out a solid run even on tired legs and strained hamstrings.
I changed out the tires on my tri bike on Sun and put the brand new gatorskins on......I have a set on the Colnago that are worn down from usage but have never resulted in a flat......hopefully I will have similar luck with the tri bike..... that was my first flat on that bike.
I did ice my hammy all weekend and it feels pretty good right now...... hopefully it will continue to improve or at least hold out. I have pledged to a no speed week in order to facilitate healing.
Last week was a huge week for me though as I hit every workout for the first time since starting to train..........



1 comment:

Katie said...

wow awesome workouts! i have a loong ways to go ! i like that your adding nutrition in, i like to know what athletes consume as fuel