Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Last ditch efforts to get healthy

Mon PM:Yoga
Tues AM: 2200 Yards
Lunch: Rode 16 miles with one of my Lieutenant who just bought his first bike. Pace was at a snail but my leg wasn't feeling great so that was fine.... we had to stop a couple times so I could make some adjustments on his bike. He did the right thing though and bought a nice bike instead of going cheap......will be good to have someone at work to ride with once he gets some time in the saddle.

Wed: Aqua jogged 40 Min and then did Yoga right after.

Last night I spent almost five hours at Gregg's house getting my bike fitted w/ the RETUL system and the following:

-Range of Motion Assessment
-Muscle and Pelvic Asymmetry Assessment
-Foot and Arch Assessment
-Prescribed Body Balance Exercises
-Prescribed Physical Therapy Exercises to Address Pelvic Asymmetry
-Core and Yoga Exercises
-Prescribed Self Treatment Techniques for Myofascial Release and Trigger Point Therapy

If you are interested I have Gregg's link on the blog.

Prognosis: Bike fit way to aggressive.......not comfortable. Moved my Aero bars in, moved my cleats back, took out the shim in my right left side, moved my handlebars, flipped the stem, and lessened the angle on my saddle so I don't slide of the bike anymore. I am chopping at the pedals, I am inflexible, Pelvic is not aligned which causes my legs not to align perfectly when bent and I have a neutral foot.

Gregg, thinks my problem may lie in my buttocks area and I may have some myofascial tissue in the hammy. The butt is where, when I apply pressure there is a tremendous amount of pain...not in the hammy...they hammy is a result of the symmetry issue in the pelvic region. I just returned from the store where I bought a softball and baseball to use as a rudimentary tool for trigger release until I order something better. I am considering a few options. I will start the PT exercises he prescribed tonight.

Today my hammy feels great but my hip hurts......... Gregg said there would be discomfort if I can brake up that myofascial tissue...I hope that is what is happening.

I am doing away with pain relievers...no mas! My dream is for all this stuff to fix me and me be 100% right before IM.... I am a realistic though but I can't hope that it helps heal me a bit so I can at least complete the journey.

Let this be a lesson to you all..........get flexible and work on your posture now before you end up like me! I am making a civilian Chiropractor appointment to get the pelvic thing realigned.........it takes 21 days to see a military chiropractor......this my friends is the downfall of socialized medicine!

1 comment:

Baghdad Multisport said...

Dude,
Give yourself some credit. You make yourself sound like an old man instead of a world class athlete that could kick anybody's ass in your battalion.

So I am on my third battalion to get my team attached to, and I'm on my third Bn Cdr to work for as a NPTT. The S3 warned me to watch out because the BC doesn't like anybody unless he's infantry or armor. I go meet him and he asks me to tell him about myself. I was getting ready for the uninterested hum drum and then I told him that I was going to Ft. Carson after this tour because my wife and I both do triathlons. His mood changes, and he perks up and he says "That's so cool, my wife and I do triathlons too!" My initial counselling quickly transitioned to tribikes, swimming and Half Ironmans. Thanks for getting Katie and I into the sport/lifestyle. She ran her first 10K yesterday with my sister in Phoenix and is ready to keep training for her first half marathon.