Saturday, February 14, 2009

My own worst enemy.

That would be my pride! So............. I was feeling great last week, had a pretty full week of training and a bike on Saturday. So this past Monday I decided to run with one of the platoons. I learn they are going 5-6 miles all together.... I am thinking varying abilities present so as a group they won't be going fast.... bad assumption.

All is good for a little over a mile then the platoon sergeant has them spread out for last man up runs. Mind you....I have always hated these types of runs....I am just starting to feel better after a 10 month hamstring problem.....which I originally hurt during track repeats.....

Yes, I could have opted out, I could have parted ways or just dogged it but in my defense.... I am the Commander so I should be setting the example and I should be working out with my Soldiers and pushing them.......what I should not have done though was crush the sprint........... I was smarter on the hill repeats but still, none of this was smart..... I should have moved at my own comfortable pace and not let my pride take over. OK, yes I did destroy that young 18 year old Soldier but what did I actually achieve?

Even dumber........... the next day I felt OK so I went and did heavy leg presses....... not sure which did me in but by that night I felt it and Wednesday I was in pain. Yep that's right........I'm starting to get better and I blew it.... I feel as if I have regressed now in my recovery and I have no one to blame but myself.

So Wednesday I ran nice and easy and it seemed to loosen things up, I took Thursday off, swam Friday and cycled 28 today. I could feel it in my legs so I pulled back and fell to the slower group. Tomorrow I will just swim and stretch.

My hope is that I can pull back all I've lost in those two days in the next couple weeks. Self actualization moment............... I'm an idiot.....stop being a dumb ass!

I think now I have realized that speed is out of the question for the next couple months. I am not signing up for any races in April. The physical therapist said it could take up to four months to heal properly and that will be only if I do not aggravated it (like I did this week). I have a high hammy problem where the hammy connects to the tendon(apparently this is the worst kind).

On a positive note though I swam 1600 without shoulder issues on Friday and plan to do the same tomorrow.

For now though, I will mask my pain with some delicious Red Zinfandel! I feel myself getting better already!

No comments: